IWC ARCHAEOLOGY - TOUR TO AKKO
IWC Archaeology will be exploring Akko on June 13, 2019. The tour will include several sites beginning with the Hospitaller Fortress (Knights’ Halls), followed by the Turkish Bath (Hamam) and the Templers' Tunnel.
Date: Thursday, June 13, 2019
Time: 7:30 AM - 6:00 PM.
Leave from: Tel Aviv University, Gate 4
Cost: NIS 250 per person (includes entrance and guide)
Ilona - email@example.com; 054 4506678
Noa - firstname.lastname@example.org; 054 5906573
Date: 13.6.19, Guide: Dr. Shelley-anne Peleg
Shelley-Anne Peleg is a specialist in conservation procedures of the cultural built heritage (archeological sites and historical cities) with a focus on the Old City of Akko. She is lecturer in the department of Israel Studies at the University of Haifa and additional frameworks and an independent researcher.
The tour will include several sites. It will begin with a general explanation about the city of Akko with the model of the city. After we will head for a tour in the Hospitaller Fortress (Knights’ Halls) - The Hospitaller Order, which thrived in Jerusalem during the First Crusader Kingdom (1187-1099) transferred its headquarters to Acre during the Second Crusader Kingdom (1291-1191). The Hospitallers, who had a quarter there during the First Kingdom, returned to Acre, expanded their headquarters and rebuilt the site, which consisted of two to three floors around a central court as well as underground sections – water reservoirs and a sewage system. It was not the entire site that was excavated; to date, an area of about 5000 m2 was excavated, which encompasses the central court and the northern, eastern and southern wings. The western wing has yet to be excavated. Visitors of the site will primarily be exposed to the remains of the first floor of the Hospitaller headquarters since the upper floors were destroyed by the Muslim conqueror and the ravages of time. The Ministry of Defense's Underground Prisoners Museum is currently located above the archeological site.
Acre's Hospitaller quarter houses three main buildings: the headquarters (Knights' Halls); St. John's Church south of the headquarters (now a municipal community center in the Ottoman Saraya House); and the hospital south of the church that is yet to be excavated.
The Turkish Bath (Hamam) "Hamam al-Basha" was built at the end of the 18th century by Governor of Acre, Jazzar Pasha. At first it was called "Hama al-Jadid" (the new Hamam), but its name was subsequently changed to Hamam al-Basha (the Pasha's hamam), in honor of el-Jazzar. The Turkish bath's construction was part of the transformation of Acre during the Ottoman Period from a small fishing village (primarily at the hands of al-Jazzar Pasha) into a teeming port city and a major construction and trade center.
The Templers’ Tunnel – The tunnel is 150 meters long and it extends from the Templars fortress in the west to the city's port in the east. It crosses Pisan quarter and, in the past, served as a strategic underground passageway that connected the palace to the port. The lower part of the tunnel is carved in the natural stone and its upper part is made of hewn stones covered with a semi-barreled dome.
The tour will include the market, the city walls and if the time will allow it, we will visit some additional archaeological sites in the city.
Departure from Gate 4 of Tel-Aviv University at 07:30, please be on time!
07:30 Tel Aviv University to Akko, with a coffee break on M-Haderech.
17:00 – 18:00 Estimated return time to Tel Aviv University.
Cost: 250 shekels. The price includes all entrance fees.
This trip is suitable for people who are independent and do not need assistance. It is opened to English speaking friends. Please remember that time is a flexible dimension and may vary from the plan.
Please wear good walking shoes.
Lunch break will take place in Akko’s market. You can bring your own lunch or buy it in the market’s restaurants.
Possible pick up on Haifa Road, going north, with prearrangement only.
Ilona - email@example.com; 054 4506678
Noa – firstname.lastname@example.org; 054-5906573